Every so often a competition comes around that makes you do a double-take at just how good the prize is. Diageo Reserve Brands Show Your Spirit is a case in point. Is the luxury arm of the giant drinks company really inviting bartenders to invent their own spirit? And even better than that, are they seriously going to put the idea into production and give the winner a share of the profits as well? You bet your bloomin’ booty they are! Now, bartenders of the world, if this isn’t your cue to get your thinking caps on, Ms S will start munching on her prized selection of hats…
This is the first time ever that a drinks company is inviting you, yes you mister and missus bartender to put your thoughts for a new product on paper in order for them to be translated into a finished product. Think about that for a moment. Here’s your chance to create the product of your dreams – it could be a spirit, liqueur or something completely new (think Kamm & Sons for originality), just let your imagination run wild whilst bearing in mind your creation should enhance the existing Reserve portfolio – that’s Tanqueray No. TEN gin, Johnnie Walker Blue Label, Johnnie Walker Gold Reserve, Johnnie Walker Platinum Label, Ketel One vodka, Zacapa rum, Grand Marnier, Don Julio tequila, Ciroc vodka and Classic Malts Selection. And don’t worry about coming up with exact formulations or samples, all you need is an idea on paper – that’s it.
If yours is one of the three concepts shortlisted by the crack team of judges (a fourth Wild Card winner will also go through by public vote), you’ll be invited to Boot Camp at Diageo’s Global Technical Innovation Centre for the drinks boffins there to whip your creation into shape. You’ll work together on the liquid, packaging, name – the whole caboodle, like we said, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and Diageo are working it to the max.
And on to the prize. Are you sitting down for this? The winner not only gets the bragging rights of having his/her spirit in production, marketed by the Diageo team, they also get a 5% share of the profits for the first five years. Trust us, that’s HUGE, or put it another way: no more overtime guaranteed. What are you waiting for? Get ready to Show Your Spirit.
To enter this fantastic competition, contact your local Diageo Reserve brand ambassador. Follow the action on Twitter @ShowYourSpirit
Participating markets: Great Britain, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Belgium, The Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Austria, Switzerland, Greece
- Monday 18 March – closing date for entries
- Monday 15 April – Top 3 judges’ selection announced and further 20 announced for public voting
- Monday 15 – Sunday 21 April – public voting for a fourth wildcard finalist
- Mon 22nd April – announcement of final line-up for Boot Camp
- Monday 20 May to Thursday 23 May – four day Spirit product development Boot Camp for four finalists with Diageo experts
- Friday 24 May – Live final with judging panel to select the winner. (The winner will be announced at the end of the day)
- Tuesday 28 May – Wednesday 29 May – preliminary unveiling of the product at the World Class Western Europe Final
- Thursday 4 July – Tuesday 9 July – Unveiling of the winning product at the World Class Global Final